This summer program gives you the chance to experience Peru’s incredible cultural, social and environmental diversity. We immerse ourselves in Spanish, volunteer and homestay with local families, bike and trek an Inca jungle trail to Machu Picchu, explore Mediterranean-like islands at 12,000ft on Lake Titicaca, wander the ancient cobbled stones streets, plazas and markets of Cusco and Arequipa, hike into the spectacular Colca Canyon, visit mysterious Nazca, sand-board the dunes at Huacachina and head off-shore to the Ballestas Islands.
This summer abroad program is suitable for high school graduates, gap year students, university students and graduates, ideally 18 – 23 years. Peru is a ‘land of contrasts’ vibrantly alive with enchanting and heart warmingly friendly people, many of whom are descendants of the Incas and retain rich traditions of language, colorful dress and lively music. It has stunning, diverse landscapes, from the highest snow dusted peaks of the Andes to the lush Amazon jungle. The food is fantastic. The language, surprisingly easy to pick-up. Wild life abounds – you’re sure to see flamingos, condor, llamas and the elusive vicuna.
Peru Summer Program also offers:
- One week of immersion Spanish Language - all levels catered for
- Homestay with local families in Cusco to enhance your language acquisition
- Volunteer with organizations in Cusco supporting orphans and disadvantaged youth, during our language week
- Explore historic Cusco, former capital of the Inca Empire
- The Inca Jungle Trail - mountain biking and trekking through the jungle to spectacular Machu Pichu
- 3-day white water rafting trip down the Apurimac River - the headwaters of the Amazon
- Homestay with indigenous islanders on Amantani Island in the middle of Lake Titicaca
- Condors, camping and hiking in Canyon Del Colca (twice the depth of the Grand Canyon)
- Soak up the charms of beautiful Arequipa
- Mysterious Nazca - pre-inca cemetery and the option to fly over the Nazca lines
- Sandboarding at Huacachina
- Boating around the Ballestas Islands
- Very personalized small group experience (compare with other programs of up to 40 students)
- Fantastic program leader supported by great local guides
Academic credit available on the Peru Summer Program: Seattle Central Community College.
Credit is available through the Seattle Central Community College Office of Cooperative Education and Service Learning. Whether you are from the US, Canada, or elsewhere, you are able to undertake this optional independent-study credit while on a Pacific Discovery program. Courses can be taken for 5 or 10 quarter credits and a maximum of 20 credits can be taken per quarter. This credit is a particularly good option for gap-year students and students wanting an economical credit option.
Scholarship available on the Peru Summer Program:
LIVFund Scholarship has been designed for anyone who wants to learn, intern or volunteer in Latin America and is seeking financial assistance to offset their program or living abroad expenses. The scholarship competition is open to anyone over the age of 18 who has plans to learn, intern or volunteer abroad in one of the following countries for at least one week. LIVFund awards two US$500 scholarships per month to selected recipients. Candidates may apply for the LIVFund Scholarship up to six months in advance of their program start date. Applications are accepted year-round.