Harar & the Bale Mountains
Visit: Addis Ababa, Harar, Awash National Park, Lake Ziway, Bale Mountains National Park, Wendo Genet, Arba Minch
Tour Type: Group Tour
The Rift Valley and its tribes are at the heart of this journey, and we have plenty of time to explore the lakes and towns. We spend time in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Harar where we go on a guided tour. This historic gem is also infamous for the butchers who feed the wild hyenas at night at the edge of the town. The Bale Mountains are one of Ethiopia’s best trekking areas and home to many endemic species of plants and animals; we spend three nights here to really get under the skin of the place and go in search of the elusive Ethiopian Wolf on the Sanetti Plateau.
- Adventure Activities
- Community Project
- Hiking & Trekking
- History & Culture
- Nature & Wildlife
Product Code: 162961
Tour Type: Group Tour
Transport: User Defined##Overland expedition vehicle, Boat
Guide Language: Engligh
Travel Styles: Overland Expedition
Starts: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Finishes: Arba Minch, Ethiopia
Duration: 15 days
Physical rating: Basic
- Full day guided tour of the city taking in stops at many of the cities major highlights.
- Take a guided tour for half of the day through the winding streets of this ancient city.
- Head out with a scout to explore the trails of this National Park.
- Guided hikes through Bale Mountain National Park
- Head up to the incredible Sanetti Plateau on a day trip with our overland truck, stopping to explore the area on foot and search for Ethiopian Wolves
- Relax in the Hot Springs at Wendo Genet
- Tour Staff
- 2 Dragoman crew, Local guides where necessary, 1 local crew in certain areas
- 5% Camping - 95% Hotels
- Visit "Lucy", one of the oldest complete hominid skeletons ever found, at the National Museum (Price: ETB 10)
- Stroll through the Addis Ababa Mercato, one of the largest markets in Africa (Price: USD )
- Visit Africa Hall, a symbol of African independence and optimism (Price: USD )
- Visit the St. George's Cathedral (Giorgis Cathedral), built to commemorate Ethiopia's victory over the Italians in 1896 (Price: USD )
- Explore the fascinating Ethnological Museum, one of the best museums in Africa set in a former palace of Haile Selassie (Price: ETB 100)
- Visit the Menelik Mausoleum, built to serve as the tombs of emperors and princes (Price: USD )
- Witness Harar's tradition of feeding wild Hyenas by hand each evening just outside the city walls. (Price: ARS )
- Take a boat trip across Lake Ziway to Tulu Gudo Island, and explore the old Coptic monastery on the island (Price: ETB 4000)
- Head out on a short walk to the waterfalls near Wendo Genet (Price: ETB 100)
Price person (sharing double) $1,675 ($112/day)
$315 per person for bookings made 56 days or more prior to departure
Full Amount for bookings made less than 56 days prior to departure
Price does not include airfare (to the Trip start & from the end location)
Trip Price generally includes accommodation, transport/transfer, activities, services of a professional guide & more. (Please refer to the include/excludes section for details)
Tour packages spare you the hassles of trip planning, a la carte booking, organizing and managing the logistics at a foreign location.
Personalize itinerary with your departure date
DragomanDragoman has a proud history, standing at the forefront of the overlanding industry since the company's formation in 1981. Our first overlanding expedition to Nairobi and back set off in the summer of 1982, with our first trips to Asia following in 1984. In 1989, Dragoman launched operations in South America, and in 1994 (now with 13 trucks) we expanded out to Central America.
In Business Since 2008
Book a Trip priced $1900+
When you book a trip over $1,900; You save 5%
Apply promo code while booking